The Puppet Master franchise defines B movie horror fun, and aside from the demonic dolls, Richard Band's score takes center stage. Journalist Chris Alexander put it best, noting how Band was able to take "tinkling found sounds, electronic and symphonic elements and weave them into a majestic death waltz… the Puppet Master theme speaks of magic, mystery and the unknown".
Impressively, Band was able to put it all together on a modest budget. Noting of the original: "While having scored most of my films with orchestra up until that point, there just was not the budget for live players on this particular project. While still wanting to maintain a primarily “orchestral” approach, I needed to create a new palette of sounds that would not only be unique to this project but give it a special identity."
Band also speaks of the sequel: "As with the first album I wanted this to be more of a listening experience on it's own that told the story, which is why I spent a good deal of time on the editing and re-assembly." He adds "I felt that maintaining the basic approach from the first film was still appropriate but I needed to expand on it."
Band's haunting soundtracks have since become synonymous with the Puppet Master franchise and outside of a couple of cues released on a collection LP back in 2015, the scores in their entirety have never been released on vinyl before now.
Both the original and sequel have been remastered for vinyl by Bill Henderson and each contains a digital download coupon and insert with exclusive liner notes from Richard Band.
This bundle contains both Puppet Master (Red / Black splatter, limited to 250) and Puppet Master II ("Blood Pool", limited to 250), housed inside an exclusive slipcase.
Puppet Master Pressing Info:
• Red / Black Splatter (250)
• Blade's Eye (750)
Puppet Master II Pressing Info:
• Blade Split (250)
• Blood Pool (250)
Puppet Master Track Listing:
1. Main Title
2. Blade Enters The Hotel / The Obstacles / Toulon's Suicide
3. Toulon Remembers
4. Remembering / The Deja Vu Waltz
5. The Puppets Begin Their Stalking
6. Pinhead / Toulon / Even Puppets Have Feelings
7. The Puppets Turn on Toulon / Finale and End Title
Puppet Master II Track Listing:
1. The Graveyard / Main Title
2. The Parapsychologists Enter the House
3. Patrick Investigates the Graveyard
4. Leech Woman Dies / Toulon’s Beginnings
5. Michael & Carolynn Make Love... Toulon and Puppets Plan On
6. Blade, Pinhead, and Torch / Blade Does in the Hick
7. Toulon Realizes His End is Near, the Battle Begins
8. Puppet Time!
9. End Title